Sunday, October 14, 2012

Food for the Thought

Yesterday on my morning walk with my family-we started to do this morning walks by the Beltline after Dylan woke up-we ended up all the way, passed the Bobby Jones Golf course, in Panera Bread...the day was perfect, crispy morning, chill but it was just beautiful. Of course was time for a nice pumpkin spice latte, Dylan had his breakfast and Brad and I were talking about trivial stuff...the lady next to us, who worked there, decided to make some comments about motherhood and all that. It's okay, I know that being a parent (mother or father) will means strangers will tell you all kind of things, good and bad, and the ten thousand commonly use "wait til'" phrase for all the eternity...BUT yesterday when we thought that the conversation was going just to end as it started, nothing out of ordinary...the woman asked "has he been blessed?" I , seriously, didn't understand her question. Brad looked at me and asked the woman again what she said. And she again repeated "has he been blessed?" We all at the same time, said no. No more words of explanation, in my point of view, is not needed since is like "has he been circumsized?" I mean, is personal, our choice, almost like what kind of underwear do you use tongs? bikinis? Nothing else, nothing more.

I found a bit bothered about the question itself. What means being blessed? If you are not blessed...eh are you cursed? I do not recall having a witch coming over Dylan's bassinet and make a curse on him. I seriously don't recall that. After our "no". She said, that we should give "back" because there are other kids with health issues and if ours is healthy we should thank the "Lord". For the very first time in my life (okay I am lying here, is not the first time...the fifth I think) I bite my tongue. What I would win having a discussion this early in the morning, with my coffee and my family about religion beliefs and more importantly the significance of what she was saying, nothing but I was about to yell. It really annoys me this kind of things. Yes, they are annoyed. So, a person that their kids are not healthy are cursed? Isn't she suppose to believe that we all are God's creation and will? What the hell was that?! I seriously had difficulty to breath. Specially when I remembered a friend of mine who up to everything still believes and the least his family would think that they are not blessed even in the worse events that occurred to them this year. What about my friend, who up to everything wanted to believe that she was going to a better life away from cancer? Are all of them, not blessed? They have gave, I think, a lot back...and what they received in returned? suffering! Sorry but I am having BIG troubles , again, to try to understand this kind of yaba deebeedah blahleesh stuff about being blessed. What about if I couldn't bare children? am I cursed...what about the others that can't and thankfully they decided to adopt a child?

People should use their believes wisely...personally I think they should keep it to themselves unless they know the people they are talking to. I don't mind a trivial conversation about children and education but when is mix up with blessings I think I will leave it up to Brad and me and how we feel, and so far we think that blessed is not the right word to say how lucky we are to have Dylan in our lives and that we will keep trying to have him out of danger, but if anything sad happens there is nobody to blame and we hopefully we get answerings here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment